Summary: The Seafarers' Charity has partnered with Relate, to offer FREE counselling support for UK-based fishermen. This service is available to both serving and former fishermen as well as their dependants. Dependants can access the service alone – the seafarer themselves does not have to be involved for them to be eligible.
People come to Relate for a wide range of issues – not just if their marriage is in trouble, and we support people whether they are in heterosexual or same sex relationships. This new service provides free access to a range of face-to-face and digital relationship support, including:
- Coping with a new or long standing relationship when the partner works away
- Parenting issues when one parent works away
- Forming a relationship and making it last
- Wider family relationships including with elderly relatives who may need care
- Young person’s counselling to help with everything from struggling to fit in at school, dealing with bullying, academic pressures and issues around sexuality
- Sex therapy for emotional or physical difficulties impacting on intimacy
If you or your family members come from a UK fishing fleet background and think you could benefit from this service, please contact Seafarers’ Advice and Information Line on 0800 160 1842 or call Seafarer Support on 0800 121 4765
Please see attached Information Sheet for referring organisations.